Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Collecting Read Alouds-Early Grades

Oh there are so many reasons I love summer time. Here are just a couple:
*endless time to read
*watermelon and patio dinners
*fireflies
*pool and the smell of coconut+vanilla lotions
*road trips
* collecting Read Alouds for next academic year...

Oh yes, I keep my eyes open for great read alouds for next year. I'm blessed to work with the same group of children every year (I teach ESL) and this blessing gives me the extra challenge of keeping myself updated on the world of children's literature. This way, I can bring a range of great read alouds to the various group I teach. 
For my younger ones in Elementary grades I have:


Walk on by Maria Frazee Walk On!: A Guide for Babies of All Ages

Beautiful Oops by Barney Saltzberg Beautiful Oops!

my classic: Leo The Late BloomerLeo the Late Bloomer


and now I want to add : Hooray for Amanda and Her Alligator by Mo WillemsHooray for Amanda & Her Alligator!

Mo Willems did it again! He created yet again another adorable book with great characters and a situation that children will understand. I love what he did this time. He created a short chapter book. This book is perfect to start introducing our younger readers to the world of chapter books and sustaining information. Amanda is a reader. She gets lost in the world of books because you know..."books beat boredom!" She has a best pet friend Alligator (a stuff animal really). Alligator and Amanda knows how to have fun, just the two of them. Until one day Amanda comes back from the zoo with Panda (another stuff animal!) Is this going to work? Amanda, Alligator & Panda? Read to find out. Another great addition to any library. 

No comments: